Friday, June 22, 2007

Bhangra & Borscht?

So who would have imagined that I'd ever be surrounded by Polish girls dressed in full saris pretending to dance bhangra at an underground (literally, under the earth) club in this strange city called Wroclaw. Not me.

Last night we went to a Bollywood themed dance party at a club in downtown Wroclaw. Everybody was really into it. I've never, ever pretended to dance Bhangra without feeling guilty before. We drank beers and took Mad Dog shots. Vodka with a sweet black currant syrup and tabasco sauce. And we wore stick-on bindis. It was crazy.

Last night, before the Bollywood party, Jackie and I went to Carrefour to look for S'More supplies to take to this bonfire party tomorrow. We thought it would be something cute and American to offer our hosts. And we found out that marshmellows and graham crackers don't really exist in Poland, at least not in an incarnation that facilitates s'more-making.

But more importantly, here's the biggest news in my little world right now. The DUK invited me to create a presentation about equal opportunity employment and women's studies programs in the US . . . as if I'm an expert. We're taking this presentation to a conference near Gdansk on the other side of Poland. From July 7 - 11th, we're going to this conference about equal opportunity employment in Poland and the EU. The DUK will provide for everything. I'm not sure how, exactly, that will work when our classes are supposed to begin on July 2nd (as far as we know). All next week we have appointments with women who are signing up for the classes. We have to speak with them to assess their language levels. So things are picking up, but there's still not enough work to necessitate two interns. I don't really get it.

One more thing to add to this totally non-sequiter composition: My new friend Jackie has been talking to me about WWOOFing. WWOOF stands for World-Wide Opportunity to Organic Farm and it's an organization that connects organic farms with volunteers all over the world. Basically, you travel a country going from farm to farm exchanging manual labor for food and accomodations. I added the link to the sidebar, check it out. I'm not sure if it's legit, but it's worth looking into.

Okay, really, that's it.

1 comment:

Belloma said...

I miss you so much.