Wednesday, June 20, 2007

All In A Day's Work

So I'm at work, again, sort of. Monday and Tuesday, Aydan and I showed up for work and nobody here had anything for us to do. So Monday we left for lunch and didn't come back and Tuesday we left about half an hour after we got here. Today, Aydan decided not to wake up for work at all. So here I am, again, with nothing to do but check my e-mail. Had we known that we'd basically have the week off, we could have gone to Krakow or Berlin or we could have even hitchhiked to Greece by now. But, hey, that's the way it goes. I almost feel guilty. But I guess that's why I showed up today knowing full well that I'd just sit around and check my e-mail for an hour before going back to the dormitories.

The last few days I've been almost bored. But the good kind of bored, the kind of bored you feel after you're comfortable in a new place and don't feel anxious or pressured to constantly explore.

Last night I made dinner with Jackie, Aydan, and Wajih. Just pasta, but it was the first time we made anything more than sandwiches in the dorm. Jackie and I stood in the hallway with our bottle of cheap wine until some shirtless Polish boy came and opened it for us. So we ate our pasta and drank our wine and Wajih brought some traditional Tunisian wedding cookies. Jackie and I keep joking about what we'll do if our organization decides to have a global village event where everybody brings food and decor from their home country. Jackie and I will probably just stop at McDonalds.

One of the interns who went home already left his bike here as sort of communal Aiesec property. Jackie has been riding it occasionally, but I took it to work this morning. It was 100% faster than the tram that pretty much circles the city before it gets here. Jackie and I looked at it and laughed at first. It's a cheap Carrefour (think European Walmart) mountain bike with an incredibly unconventional frame and ridiculous shock absorbers. Yes, I chuckled, but after riding on cobblestone sidewalks and jumping curbs (because everybody bikes on the sidewalks here) I was thankful for the crazy shocks.

So I guess that's it. I'm almost finished with this John Irving book I've been reading in my spare time (Europe and wresting and child molestation, oh my) so I might try to find an English bookstore today. That's it for my crazy adventures.


Polish Phrases of the Day

Czy film yes z napisami? - Is the film subtitled?
Czy wymagany jest stroj formalny? - Is formal dress required?
Jestem samotna. - I'm single.
Mamy przyjecie. - We're having a party.

1 comment:

Boaz Munro said...

aw, I read the World According to Garp a few weeks ago.